[Phys-L] Re: Human Error?

At 10:35 -0700 4/29/05, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I don't remember an instructor ever using it. Partly because
early on error wasn't discussed (bad memory from the 40/50's?).

I have. I was visiting a middle school class when the teacher did
just that (he also thought that the proper way to handle graphing
data was to connect the dots). I cringed when he said it, and later
asked him to never tell his students that. He was genuinely shocked
that this wasn't standard "error analysis."

I have asked many students where they learned this idea, and the
almost all attributed its origin to a middle school science teacher,
although a few would blame their chemistry teacher.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams