[Phys-L] Re: An Interesting reflection phenomenon

At 10:53 PM 4/17/2005, you wrote:
///
The backdrop was plain white and pretty smooth and the tympani
happened to be placed where I could see a reflection of the
drum-heads in the backdrop. The orchestra was brightly illuminated
from above. When the timpanist would strike one of the drums, the
reflection in the backdrop would clearly show the nodal pattern on
the drumhead--the nodes being bright and the anti-nodes being dark.

///

Hugh Haskell

Here's the $64 question: the nodes as you observed them: which ones
were they? a breathing mode? a quadrantal mode? Higher?

I am going to suppose that you possibly saw a mode that was
bilaterally symmetrical, associated with a near parallel light beam
path to you from the drum heads.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!