[Phys-L] Re: LaTeX in physics

At 12:14 PM -0400 4/13/05, John Denker wrote:
Something to keep in mind: Science majors go into
science. English majors go into publishing. As a
consequence, it is very common for a scientific
author to use wizard-friendly tools like LaTeX
while the publisher is more familiar with Muggle-
friendly tools like MSword.

The publisher who told me that LaTeX isn't common in physics claims to be a
mathematician herself (and wrote her PhD thesis with LaTeX).

She wants me to help write the solutions manual in Word and MathType,
instead of the LaTeX I offered.

I even originally thought the companion textbook (Knight's Physics for
Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach) was written in LaTeX but
they told me it is written with some fancy version (with macros) of Quark.
But I think the Discrete Math text I'm using this semester was written in
LaTeX/AMSTeX.

Larry