[Phys-L] California Physics Standards Test

Drs. Wolf, Hake, et al.!

I presume MS. Hernandez, as promised, referred our discussion to the
Science Content Review Panel for the State Board of Education, because
one of them collared me at the most recent meeting of the SF Bay Physics
Teachers (BAPT *). I remember the conversation only poorly. However,
the gist was, complete, or nearly so, agreement w/ our general
conclusion. The test is rather poor. He explained the testing company
submits questions and the committee selects. Don't even think about how
bad the test would be w/o his efforts to eliminate the worst questions.
He invited me to post this, but I delayed 'till -- read next:

He is also an active member of the NCN section of the AAPT. At our
annual meeting yesterday he passed out the most recent Released Test
Questions, and in a blank spot on the first page inserted:

PLEASE direct feedback (including well reasoned rants!) to

Dean Baird
Science Content Review Panel for the State Board of Education

dean@phyz.org

Rio Americano High School
4540 American River Drive
Sacramento, CA 95864
(916) 979-8931x05

I later said I thought he would be inundated; his reply, was
essentially, bring it on, and agreed it would give him ammunition.

* A small, about a dozen, group of SF Bay Area Physics instructors who
meet aperiodically to schmooze, eat non-nutritious food, and show and tell.

bc, who prays you do write.

p.s. I have not received a reply from the ETS.