[Phys-L] Re: A "simple" physics problem?

OK, for the "air doesn't hold water" discussion, let me ask a questions.

Suppose you have a 1 m^3 space filled with ~80% N2 and 20% O2 at 40C and 90% relative humidity. The mixture is then cooled to 5C, at which point the water starts to condense and falls out of the space. Which of the following would people be comfortable saying?

a) the 1 m^3 of space has fewer water molecules in it than it did before.
b) the 1 m^3 of space is holding less water than it did before.
c) the 1 m^3 of atmosphere is holding less water than it did before.
d) the 1 m^3 of air is holding less water than it did before.

Or you would phrase the question completely differently? Or answer it differently?

Tim Folkerts

P.S What's it the Mississippi River flow puzzle? I don't think I'm familiar with that one.