[Phys-L] Re: FL stamps out dictator professors

At 11:22 -0600 3/26/05, James Mackey wrote:

Unfortunately, ridiculing religious beliefs is not considered moral
turpitude by academia.

Ridiculing *any* belief, by *anyone* should not be considered moral
turpitude, as long as it is not done in any official capacity, where
such ridicule could be reasonably interpreted as prejudging a legal
position (such as in a court case, or the grade a student might
receive on submitted work, or protected employment conditions). It
can be considered lots of things by different people: "rude,"
"crass," "courageous," "funny," "insulting," or any of a dozen or
more possibilities, but not moral turpitude, or anything else that
might be considered illegal.

What bugs me, is that if I happen to ridicule someone else's
religious belief, I am immediately accused of all sorts of heinous
behaviors, but when they ridicule my lack thereof, it is considered
to be a "reasoned argument in favor of their position," and I am
supposed to accept it with good grace. Where is the equality here?

I see much the same thing in the political arena. I insult
you--that's OK, and standard political conduct. You insult me--I have
been injured grievously and you owe me an abject apology.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams