[Phys-L] Re: Energy & Projectile Lab

On Mar 18, 2005, at 2:43 PM, Dwight K. Souder wrote:

Thank you for everyone who had responded. I figured that the
rotational
inertia and friction would play a factor, but I was hoping that it
wouldn't
play that big of a factor.

At my school, we don't have photogates...unfortunately. I was hoping
to be
able to do without them.

I do like the idea of "Newton's golf" by John Denker
(http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/golf.png) and plan on testing out
that
idea. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find large metal
ball
bearings? If I can't find metal balls, I may test it using golf
balls. Any
suggestions?

We did a nice lab with golf balls which were struck by a metal (brass?)
cylinder suspended by two strings. We measured the coefficient of
restitution by dropping the ball on the cylinder and seeing how high it
bounced. The results were very good (predicted distance, determined
actual distance by putting a piece of paper with carbon paper on the
floor). This is all from memory--haven't done the experiment for years.
The students really enjoyed it. (do the even make carbon paper any
more?)

Martha Takats