[Phys-L] Re: Energy & Projectile Lab

The range would be 1.47 m if the marble did not rotate and did not lose
any mechanical energy. The range would be 1.24 m if the marble rolls
without slipping but does not lose any mechanical energy.

A relative error of -24% from 1.47 m is 1.12 m, which has a relative error
of -10% from 1.24 m. A range of 0.97 m has a relative error of -22% from
1.24 m.

I don't know the details of Dwight's apparatus, but my guess is that most
of the mechanical energy is lost when the marble collides with the table
at the bottom of the plastic tube. The rest is probably due to air
resistance and the jostling of the marble as it descends the tube.

If you are not already using one, I recommend adding a transition with a
relatively large radius of curvature (probably several centimeters) to the
bottom of the tube to prevent a significantly-inelastic collision between
the marble and the table.

Daniel Crowe
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
Ardmore Regional Center
dcrowe@sotc.org

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:51:22 -0500, Dwight K. Souder <crvhs_dks@CRESTVIEW-