[Phys-L] Re: conservation of angular momentum question

"Torque" and "moment" are synonymous. A couple is a special type of
torque.

About any origin, there is a torque associated with each force. If the
line of action of a force passes through the origin, then the torque
associated with that force is zero.

A couple is the net torque associated with two forces that are equal and
opposite. If the two forces share the same line of action, then the
couple is zero, otherwise it is not. The magnitude and direction of a
couple are independent of the coordinate system; the magnitudes and
directions of most torques depend on the coordinate system. A system
acted on by only couples is in translational equilibrium, but it is not in
rotational equilibrium.

Most interesting couples are not associated with interaction pairs
(traditionally, action-reaction pairs), because most interaction pairs
share the same line of action.