From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Aaron Titus
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 6:28 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Quick question on static frictionHi All

(F_grav+F_paper) dot Delta r_cm = Delta K_cm

But since the gravitational force is perpendicular to the
center-of-mass displacement, then

F_paper dot Delta r_cm = Delta K_cm

While this equation alone may look like the work done by paper, it is
not. It is in fact the work done by the net force acting through the
center of mass displacement.

Chabay's and Sherwood's textbook teaches application of conservation of
energy to the "real system" and the "point particle system" more
clearly than any book I've ever seen. This was a major reason for me to
adopt their book.

Aaron