[Phys-L] Re: plasma TV

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I was discussing plasmas in class, and a student asked what a plasma TV
was. With so many new types of TV's on the market, I was not sure what to
say. Does a plasma TV have anything to do with real plasmas? If so, what
role do they play? If not, then why are they called "plasma" TV's?

Maybe for the same reason the "polaroid camera" was named the way it
was, it sounds high tech. (AFAIK polaroid cameras don't use polarization.)
cheers,
David