[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Color (was LED mini-flashlight price break)

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Friday, January
28, 2005 at 3:19 PM +0000 wrote:
If you have not projected a spectrum and then observed it through
colored filters, you really need to do it. It leaves a very strong
impression on students of all ages about how subtractive color mixing
works.

I did something like this today with my overhead projector. I place a
large piece of Diffraction grating that I bought from Learning
Technologies (I think that is the source)so it covers the outcoming light
from the hood and cover the platform of the projector with a file-folder
that has a slot cut down the middle. In a dark room this projects a
wonderful spectrum on one edge of the screen along with the central white
slot. Placing colored objects on the white slot gives a clear view of the
color absorbing properties of transparent materials.

It is a nice demo and I thought some might like it while others already
may do it.

Happy Friday

Ken Fox