[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Mac vs. PC (no flames please!)

I first will say what I observe around here, then I will tell an
personal story.

* * * Around here... * * *

... just about everything is PC. Schools, industries, labs all use PCs,
typically with MS Windows XP and with MS Office, plus whatever
specialized software is needed.

In our chemistry, physics, and biology labs we have instruments such as
FT-NMR, FT-IR, Vis-UV spectrophotometers, gamma-ray and x-ray
spectrometers, HPLC, etc. All of our recent name-brand instrumentation
is computer controlled, and the required computer is a PC running
Windows. Some instruments, particularly those with USB interface, will
run on PCs or Apples, but the PC route is always less expensive.

In general, I would first see what machines fit my requirements, then I
would price shop. How has it come to pass that many people don't do
that with computers?

* * * Personal Story * * *

My daughter is a freshman in graphic design at the University of
Cincinnati. The college of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning
(DAAP) has a computer requirement for all students, but the computer
requirement depends on the particular sub-discipline.

Graphic Design, Digital Design, Architecture, Interior Design, Art all
require Apple PowerBooks.

Industrial Design, Fashion Design, Planning all require Dell Latitude
Laptops.

The standard Apple package, with academic discount, is $2628 (plus
software).

The standard Dell package, with academic discount, is $1797 (plus
software).

However, reqgardless of what your major is, or what computer you are
required to buy, the required software for all majors is Adobe Creative
Suite and Microsoft Office. Does this make any sense? If these are the
software requirements, who cares whether you run the software on a PC or
a Mac?

To make matters worse, when she was in high school I bought my daughter
a Dell computer and she already had licence to Adobe Creative Suite and
Microsoft Office. But she was required to get the Apple in order to be
a Graphic Design student.

Therefore, I had to shell out $2628 for the Apple, plus another $400 for
Adobe Creative Suite, plus $50 for MS-Office for a total of about $3100
(even though my daughter already had all this on a PC). If my daughter
has not already had all this, I would have liked to have been able to
buy the Dell and save about $1000.

After having got the Apple, my daughter and I both agree it is a nice
machine. But it does not strike us as better than the PC she already
had, and it certainly is not worth an extra $1000 since there isn't any
software she needs that only runs on the Apple.

When I talked to the UC DAAP administration they said they are
constantly reviewing the computer requirement and there is a chance they
will allow future students to purchase either system. The only reason
the Apple is required for graphic design is because they feel that is
what most graphic designers use. However, they admit this is changing,
plus the software is the same regardless of the system.

In the end, the only gripe I have about Apple is the cost. The gripe I
have about school requirements is I have not observed they make any
sense. It seems to be driven by tradition or some sense of what is
commonly out there as opposed to the actual software required and the
price.

I repeat... I would first see what machines fit my requirements, then I
would price shop. How has it come to pass that many people don't do
that with computers?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University