[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Mac vs. PC (no flames please!)

At 20:07 -0700 1/24/05, John SOHL wrote:

Nature of the room as envisioned:
1. Five to ten computers.
2. First priority goes to undergrad research (mostly astrophysics).
3. Second priority goes to classes such as computational physics ( C++,
FORTRAN) and data acquisition (LabVIEW mostly).
4. Third priority goes to physics majors needing to do homework, email,
etc.

My considered opinion is this. The response shouldn't be based on a
popularity contest, but whichever platform does the three jobs best.
Students should be able to adapt to other platforms without too much
trouble if they find something different when they get out into the
real world.

Since initial cost doesn't seem to be a major consideration, I think
I would consider iMacs (the new flat screen types), for the following
reasons:

1. Lower long term costs, due to higher reliability and less support needed.
2. Smaller footprint, leaving more lab bench space for the
experimental equipment.
3. Unix-based operating system than can be adapted to some pretty
powerful computing tools.
4. Easily configured to networks, both wireless and wired.
5. Can be set up for multiple users, with each user having their own
private, password-protected space.
6. Much less susceptible to virus infection, especially when multiple
users are involved.

A disadvantage of the iMac is that, since it is smaller and
self-contained, it is easier to steal, so some sort of security will
have to be available to keep the computers tied down to their benches.

Another is the limited ability to modify them later.

I would get them with the largest screen available, with at least 1
GB of RAM and 40 GB or more of hard drive space, and with the network
cards installed if they will be working in a wireless environment.
They have multiple USB and Firewire ports so that individual students
can bring in their own flash memory units, enabling them to easily
take their data with them when they leave.

Wireless keyboards and mice are a possibility, but they are really
hard to secure.

I can't speak to the types used in various workplaces, but I have
noticed that the fraction of Macs that I see at conferences that I
attend has been steadily increasing in the past few years. My
step-son is an engineer at a large aerospace company, and his
workspace computer is neither Mac nor PC, but something descended by
several generations from the old Sun workstations. Much more powerful
than either Macs or PCs, and unix-based. His desk-top computer,
however, is a PC, and that seems to be fairly standard in industry, I
understand, except in areas where graphics and publishing are the
main functions.

No definitive data. Just my impressions.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams