[Physltest] [Phys-L] Physical Intuition (was: 'Seeing' frequencies ..)

At 07:57 AM 1/15/2005, you wrote:
On Saturday, Jan 15, 2005, at 02:25 America/New_York,
Bernard Cleyet wrote:

still don't understand the problem. If memory isn't good enuff, then
persistence of vision will do it w/ a 5 mW LASER and a dark room.

You are correct. I just checked it by rapidly tracing a curve on the
wall, with a red pointer. Thanks.

I found this exchange interesting. I suppose you could call it an
example of a failure of physical intuition.
I notice that there have been physicists with (usually) incredibly
acute physical intuition.

The process became pervasive (in my mind, way too pervasive) with the
general adoption of Einstein's plaything: the gedanken experiment.
This is such a dangerous way of making a physical argument, so open
to faulty mental models, that I am immediately on guard when it
presents itself.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!