[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Forces acting on a book

Ken Fox wrote:
"My colleague cited the demo done often to show the strength of the air
pressure force by placing a stick so one end is under a sheet of newspaper
with the other extending over the edge of the table. It is easy to break
the stick with a sharp whack on the unsupported end. This is ostensibly
because the air pressure on the paper keeps the "under the paper" end at
rest so the pair of torques snaps the stick..."

If the end of the stick is struck sharply, wouldn't the effect of rotational
inertia be prominent? I would think that this effects, depending on the
characteristics of the stick and newspaper would rival those of atmospheric
pressure and wind resistance.

I'm sure that the right whack on the right stick would cause it to break without
any paper covering the other end.

Stu Leinoff
Adirondack Community College