[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Forces acting on a book

Dear Ken,

The air pressure does act on all sides just as you
suggested. This gives rise to a buoyant force acting
upward which we normally neglect because it is very small.
On an average size man (150 lbs) you can simply calculate
the buoyant force to be a an ounce or so. This buoyant
force is the same one given by archimedes principle. It is
very small because the density of air is small.

I would guess that the paper holds the stick down because
the paper can't move very fast due to the large air
resistance as a result of the large surface area of the
paper.

Richard Lindgren

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:52:20 -0700