From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of STRatliff@NWC.EDU
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 10:53 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: [PHYS-L] Basic Facts About Dark Energy

Dear PHYS-L,

I've been thinking about dark energy, and have come up with a simple
list
of its properties. I am trying to come up with a list of properties
that
is both correct but also in simplified form for non-scientists to
understand.

Would you please comment on the statements below and let me know if I
have
left anything out, or made any mistakes.

If dark energy exists, it has the following properties:

1. It exists uniformly throughout the universe.
2. It makes up most of the energy of the universe.
3. Unlike other forms of energy (visible light, sound, radio waves,
etc.), it cannot be directly detected.
4. It causes empty space to repel itself.

Thank you,
Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff
Institutional Researcher / Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Ave. N.
St. Paul, MN 55113-1598
U. S. A.