[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: planet symbols

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:44:06 -0500 Anthony Lapinski
<anthony_lapinski@PDS.ORG> writes:
In my astronomy class I give a handout of planet symbols, where they
came from, and what they mean. Kids always are curious. For example,
Mars
was named for the Roman god of war. The symbol is a circle with an
arrow, indicating a shield and spear. I have a few questions.

1. What was Earth named for?

*** According to my World Book Encyclopedia,Vol E Page 10,
"Earth means many things to the people who live on it."
The encyclopedia doesn't attempt to tell what the Earth was named
for.

2. What was the Sun named for? Its symbol is a circle with a dot in
the center. What does it mean?

*** It was probably named for the first day of the week, which is Sunday.
Sunday means that teachers have more time to mark their students test
papers
Where did the symbol for the sun come from??

*** It might have been named for the sun god.
When the sun is out it means a nice day.

3. How about the Moon? Named after anything?

*** Could it have been named for the people who do it for the TV cameras?

(:-

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

*** Even the very little help that I have given you here ?????

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
A friendly place to live and visit where we sun in the summer and
moon about the sunshine during the winter