[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: California standards test in physics

What do you folks think of the following questions:

3. A student wires a series circuit that includes a
block of rubber and a light bulb. She states that
she does not expect the light bulb to light up
when current is applied to the circuit. Which of
the following best describes her statement?

The aspect I fear most re so called "standardized tests" is that the
writers and administrators may not know physics very well:

In this case I would not say that "current is applied" Current isn't
"applied;" It is the result of _voltage_ being applied.

But if indeed there is a current, the light bulb _would_ respond.

The question is inept.

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com