[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: sign of velocity (was: California standards test in physics)

I couldn't agree more with this idea. When two objects collide, the forces
are equal and opposite via Newton's third law. Technically, if one is 20
N, the other is -20 N, but that's irrelevant. The signs just indicate
directions. Now, signs are important when talking about net force,
momentum collisions, etc. When possible, I use the term "speed" in my
motion questions to avoid the confusion that 20 m/s is more than -20 m/s.
I want my students to understand the basics of physics, not get confused
by certain technical details.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday,