[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: California standards test in physics

As Bernard commented, the 'current is applied' is a problem, but that is
language the students and (probably) we might use. The other problem with
this question is that we don't know anything about the student's
experience, so whether her conclusion is based on theoretical knowledge or
observational experience cannot be known. But--the question is really
about the meanings of conclusion, hypothesis, procedure, and theory and the
expected answer is pretty clear.

Question 8 has a problem that we all have to be careful about. Since the
velocity is a vector quantity, and mathematically we consider negative
quantities to be less than positive quantities, none of the answers are
mathematically correct. However, if one argues that a negative velocity IS
NOT 'less' than a positive velocity, just in a different direction, then
(D) is correct. The question SHOULD have asked about the speed of the ball
to eliminate this confusion.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE: Windows and Mac Instructional Software