[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: projectiles

Anthony Lapinski queried:

Neglecting air resistance, we all know that the maximum range for a
projectile occurs when the launch angle is 45° on level ground. But what
if the object is launched from a cliff of height H above the ground? Here,
the maximum range occurs at less than 45°. I've searched most of the
college texts I have, but I can't find a "range formula" that has the
height included. Is there such an equation with an initial height (similar
to R = v^2 sin2q/g on level ground)?

Many others have already answered. Still, you
might find the following writeup useful:
http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/Projectile.pdf

--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5040