[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Similarities in Physics; out of print, HARD to find

Now I remember, I hope, I have a pamphlet describing the experiments
published by the Bell System in the black hole garage. UCB threw away
(I exaggerate.) some wave sections. I grabbed one at the give away to
teachers a few years ago and several drivers. I saw the movie as an
undergrad at UCSB in the fifties (second half).

RAFT (resource area for teachers in San Jose) sold vinyl? tape ($5 /
roll) an inch by v. ~ 0.1" -- thousand feet? and children's version of
the knobbed sticks they use at foot ball games (one can see my memory's
gone). To pkg. them the mfgr. shipped in two threaded pieces. By
punching holes in the tape and ... you get the idea. Even more
impressive (than the Bell) was the model hanging from the ceiling of the
RAFT warehouse. It was simple ... no sections with a change in the
spacing or cutting off the knobs.

bc, who would appreciate reading Hugh's instructions if he ever finds them.

p.s. I just realized the torsion k of the wave oscillator will change?
with the varying weight (height). I didn't notice any change in the
speed tho.; should I have?

Hugh Logan wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

you don't have a wave machine of our own?

Not any more. I am retired. We did have a Shive wave machine at the
Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston, where I taught for 16 years
before I retired. I don't know if it survived the flood
in which the storage room for the more advanced physics equipment was
inundated with about five feet of water not long after I retired. I
heard they had a second similar flood when the street sewer system
backed up again. Way back in 1976-1977, the father of one of my students
at ChapelHill-Chauncy Hall School (an international school in Waltham,
MA) worked for Bell Telephone Laboratories. I believe he knew or worked
with Dr. Shive. In any case, he got the film that I referred to for us.
We may have had the wave machine as well. Shive type wave machines are
presently available from PASCO, but I think the original machines were
more elaborate. They included flared sections for impedance matching.
The movie I referred to showed just about everything. I can't find
anything about it on the web. There are a few video clips if you search
for "Shive wave machine video," some at NCSU, and there are references
to it on Cinema Classics. Possibly, the Shive film was issued as one of
the PSSC films, but I think we borrowed a copy from Bell Labs. Many
physics departments still list the Shive wave machine experiment or demo
on their web pages.

A vertical one is easily made.

Somewhere, I saw instructions for making one a number of years ago.

Hugh Logan

cut