[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Unusual reading phenomenon

Brian Whatcott writes

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Whatcott [mailto:betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 1:28 PM

Hence, it would be better not to call this an urban legend.
Especially as the Psych department member in question cannot possibly
provide evidence of its non-primogeniture at one of the
Cambridge colleges.

to which , George S., you responded in this way:

Except that this is his field, and he's familiar with the literature out
of Cambridge ... he also provides the following link, if you want to
check it out further:

If anyone is interested in the facts behind this bit of urban legend
and some linguistic >fun - check out the following site:
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/personal/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/

Dr. George Spagna

Everyone is entitled to his preferences. Though this is not my field,
and I'm not familiar with the literature, here is my preference:

The significance of letter position in word recognition. (1976)
an unpublished PhD dissertation by Rawlinson at the University
of Nottingham library.

Sublexical units and the split fovea
by R Shillcock (U Edinburgh) + P Monaghan (U Warwick at Coventry)
a later paper with something more like the current text.

Still, it is all but certain that all three authors were exposed to an
Cambridge academic during their formation.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!