----- Original Message -----
From: "John Denker" <jsd@AV8N.COM>

Rick Tarara wrote:

Plant LOTS of trees?

I hear that suggestion a lot. Alas it only works to the
extent that
a) the trees live forever (or die and don't decay), which
is not a serious proposal, or
b) you use the wood as fuel, to the exclusion of fossil
carbon fuels.

The point is that carbon atoms are conserved. If you are
steadily depleting large stores of fossil carbon, the
carbon atoms must be steadily accumulating somewhere else.