On Phys-L

Hi all,

I have been reflecting Phys-L and its significance to my
professional life. It has played an important role in
improving my undertanding of physics. Of course, good
books and articles are valuable too.

I think that Phys-L (and lists like it) has had a positive
impact on our profession: it allows a direct and quick
feedback from other teachers and professors. In addition
Phys-L provides a nice illustration on how a scientific
community reaches (and sometimes does not!) a consensus on
issues in physics even though most questions deal with
well-known physics. But what is important: the physics may
be well-known for some but not for all especially in the early phase of a career.

Clifford Swartz (former Editor of the TPT) once referred
to Phys-L as "brotherhood". He may have not meant it as
a compliment but in a way I feel that it is. To me it
means a friendly and helpful attitude toward other people
sharing the same craft.

Finally, many thanks to Dan for hosting the list! I suspect
it takes a lot of work invisible to us.

Best wishes to all,

Antti

Antti Savinainen, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland
E-mail: <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>
Website: <http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/physics/>