Re: the energy

A general remark on this thread. I think that people are relying too much
on Newton's laws as the foundation of mechanics. Newton provided only one
of many alternative foundations. Any argument that relies only on
Newton's laws is bound to be suspect.

Think instead of using variational principles (least action and least
time) formulations of mechanics. We embed particle motions in a phase
space in which the particle positions and momenta are the coordinates. A
Lagrangian function incorporates particle interactions ("forces") and a
Hamiltonian ("Energy") functional gives rise to first order equations that
can be solved to obtain paths in phase space. A slight constraint on the
relationship between positions and momenta (see Dirac's wonderful book)
carries us into quantum mechanics, and relativity can be introduced at the
outset.

The downside to this way of proceeding is that nobody in its right
mind wants to introduce calculus of variations and functional thinking to
high school freshmen.

Regards,
Jack