Re: the energy

Regarding John's solution below:
Here goes:

p = [E,ps] = energy-momentum four-vector for particle #1 in lab
frame.

[1,0] = energy-momentum four-vector for particle #2 in lab frame.

[4,0] = energy-momentum four-vector for RHS in CM frame.

E^2 - ps^2 = 1 (invariant mass of particle #1) [eq 4]

(E+1)^2 - ps^2 = mass of LHS = mass of RHS = 16

E^2 + 2E + 1 - ps^2 = 16 (by expanding the square)

2E + 1 = 15 (by subtracting eq 4)

E = 7

KE = 6

Note: no gammas involved. No Lorentz transformations.
Note: repeated, total reliance on the four-vector approach:
-- We add two four-vectors in the lab frame;
-- We add four four-vectors in the CM frame;
-- The norm of a four-vector is frame-independent.
(We use this idea at least three times.)

John, I believe you left out the effects of a very important
fact here. Protons are *not* elementary particles.

When a proton interacts deeply with another proton asymptotic freedom
becomes relevant. In the collision what may appear to us to be a
proton interacting with another proton is in fact a single quark from
one proton interacting with a single quark of the other proton. The
remaining 4 quarks are oblivious bystanders to what is going on with
the 2 colliding/interacting quarks. This means that all the KE in
these by-standing quarks is essentially *unavailable* for creating
particle-antiparticle pairs.

In any event, the problem has a high cuteness coefficient anyway.

David Bowman