Re: the energy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leigh Palmer" <palmer@SFU.CA>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: the energy

On 19-Oct-04 Paolo Cavallo wrote:

What should be added at this point is: mass is also an abstraction.

One can make an operational definition of the mass of an
isolated system...

One cannot make an operational definition of the energy.

This difference is important. It is related to my
operational definition of reality.

I agree that the difference is important, but I cannot find
it relevant here.
"Abstraction" is not the same as "fictional". *Any* concept
in physics is an abstraction, not a "thing". It is (as in
the much quoted Einstein) a human construct. But it
describes reality as we experience it.

"Reality" and "matter" are philosophical concepts, "mass"
and "energy" physical ones. In physics we cannot say a thing
about issues like "What is matter?" or "Is the world real?".
We take the reality of the world for granted.

(I wish I could tell it better, but my English is not as
good as I would need.)

(And, yes, I would like to know your operational definition
of reality, too. I'm sure it's interesting.)

Paolo Cavallo " I am a teacher at heart, and
there are moments in the classroom
when I can hardly hold the joy. "
P. J. Palmer, 1998
paolo.cavallo@iperbole.bologna.it