Re: third law forces cancel?

Larry Smith wrote:

I'm wondering if pedagogically
\vec{F}_{k on j} = - \vec{F}_{j on k}
is not the same thing as
\vec{F}_{k on j} + \vec{F}_{j on k} = \vec{0}; sure, mathematically they
are the same thing, but should we tell students the 3rd law pair forces are
equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, or should we tell them they
sum to zero?

There should be no difference mathematically or pedagogically.
I would hope the students would realize that
k = -j <==> k + j = 0
is a tautology. They normally learn that in 4th grade if not
sooner.

> lest they get confused with the 2nd law.

There *is* a connection to the 2nd law. They just have to
make the right connection. The connection is
0 = F_total = m_total a_total
which is the equation of motion for the CM of the (j+k)
combined system.