From: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Larry Smith
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 12:35 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: third law forces cancel?

Many authors say that N's 3rd law pair forces do not cancel
because they are acting on different (i.e. opposite) objects.
Randy Knight, in his new PER-based textbook, says, in his
discussion of conservation of momentum, that \vec{F}_{k on j}
+ \vec{F}_{j on k} = \vec{0}. Is the discrepancy between
these two statements real or imagined? Would you tell your
students one or both or neither of these statements? I have
told students that we don't even add forces on different
objects together; should I not have? What's the best
pedagogical approach to this? Further comments?

Thanks in advance,
Larry