PER for physics departments - Misattribution

In my post "Re: PER for physics departments - Misspelling," [Hake
(2004a)] I copied into the APPENDIX a poem attributed to "Humor
Author Unknown" and kindly sent to me by Harvey Gendreau.

ASSESS'er Bill Kadoich has now informed me that the poem was written
by Professor Jerrold Zar of Northern Illinois University, a
biologist, biostatistician [Zar (1999)], and former Dean of the
Graduate School.

It was published [Zar (1994)] in the well known science humor
magazine "Journal of Irreproducible Results" (JIR)
<http://www.jir.com/home.html> and is on JIR's website at
<http://www.jir.com/favorites.html>.

According to Australian intenet journalist Eric Shackle
<http://www.bdb.co.za/shackle/articles/pullet_surprise.htm>
[bracketed by lines "SSSSSS. . . ."]:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Ten years ago, Professor Jerrold Zar . . .
[<http://www.bios.niu.edu/zar/zar.html>]. . . composed a brilliant
poem, which he called "Candidate for a Pullet Surprise". . . . . .
Since then, thousands of readers around the world have chuckled over
the poem and emailed it to their friends. It's also a favourite on
the internet. Google has some 1420 references to it on websites which
have copied the original words, or posted versions amended by various
wits and halfwits. Some have retitled it as "Owed to a Spelling
Checker" or "Spellbound." Many webmasters have added "Unknown
author," or "Anon." One says "Sauce unknown."
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

My apologies for continuing a thread that has now progressed into the
off-topic region. Nevertheless, I think it is relevant to discussion
lists because it demonstrates the deleterious effect of placing
"anonymous" material on the internet without first attempting to
discover proper attribution - the sine qua non of scholarship.

Had I searched Google <http://www.google.com/> for the third
outrageous line "It plane lee marks four my revue" (with the quotes)
of the "anonymous" speel chalker poem, I would have come up with
about 440 hits, many of them propagating the myth of anonymity, but
the fifth <http://www.bios.niu.edu/zar/poem.pdf> (4 kB) defeating it.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>