Re: Atwood's machine problem

Dan Crowe wrote:
An alternate perspective is to use the lever arm (moment arm) formalism.
The lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the origin to the line
of action of the force. In this case, the lever arm equals the radius,
R, of the pulley. The torque, T, equals the lever arm times the force,
F:

T = RF

which is nonzero.

OK, that works.

It's amusing that R drops out of the result, for any
nonzero R. Meanwhile, the R=0 limit is pathological.
I suspect that this creates a psychological barrier
that makes this solution harder to find.

Herb Schultz wrote:

The r vector points from the Pivot Point at the center of the Pulley Wheel
while the CM of the Monkey hangs from a line which is tangent to the
Pulley's edge.

That's not wrong as stated, but I don't like it as much, because it
is a compound sentence. The important part is the edge of the
pulley. The part about the CM of the monkey is dodgier ... you
can set up multi-pulley systems where the CM argument cannot be
directly applied, while the pulley/edge/tangent argument remains
valid for each pulley separately.

I still like my reflected-force argument, since it applies to
situations such as a rope draped over a frictionless table, where
angular momentum arguments would be nonobvious to say the least.