From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Herb Schulz
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 9:20 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: [PHYS-L] Atwood's machine problem

On 10/4/04 10:01 AM, "Ken Caviness" <caviness@SOUTHERN.EDU> wrote:

I thought that I understood you, but perhaps I didn't. Are you not
saying
that
the r vector points straight downward, from the pulley to the monkey?

Howdy,

The r vector points from the Pivot Point at the center of the Pulley
Wheel
while the CM of the Monkey hangs from a line which is tangent to the
Pulley's edge. This makes the component of r that is perpendicular to
the
velocity vector = radius of Pulley.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz