From: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Brian Whatcott
Sent: Fri 10/1/2004 8:22 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Student resistance to changes in professional education practice

Richard describes student discomfort as "resistance to change."
But I have been gathering the distinct impression both
from Richard's posts here and others in the same vein,
that it is a process somewhat comparable to learning to swim
by being chucked in the water: no matter how skilled the
accompanying life-guard - it is hard to get comfortable with
the panicked impression of impending death.
One doubtless has crystal-clear recollections of learning to swim
in this manner long afterwards: the student standardized gain
is high, the recall is good years later, in fact.

Now, having shared this impression, I am reminded of the surgeons'
then later the obstetricians' view that pain was a normal part of
operations and child-birth and that it was not to be gain-said
- a view which has ebbed over the years since the dome in
Mass General Hospital contained the stoic soldiers who sat in
the operating {kitchen} chair, at first implacable, later wilting
to unconsciousness as shock took effect
while the bone saw was at work to amputate their damaged &
infected limbs.

I suppose these metaphors are begging me to enquire if some
educational anaesthetic cannot be found to ease students' pain
with research/enquiry methods.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!