Re: vibrating bar supported by light string to reduce damping

reference? I thought he'd want the manufacturer or if you are, then how
you made it.

Incidentally for a number of self made apparatuses would not reference
to Strong's Procedures be appropriate?

bc, who thinks inability to find a "reference" and JD's Thag et al. are
related.

Michael J. Moloney wrote:

A paper of mine on bar vibrations is being reviewed, and the reviewer
would like me to provide a reference for light string (or sewing thread)
to markedly reduce damping and permit one to observe the vibrations over
an extended time (many seconds).

This technique was probably used a century or more ago, but my searches
so far have not turned up anything. I do recall reading about using
light threads to support a long wire and bringing the threads close to
the ear so one could hear quite rich tones from the long wire. That may
have been in The Physics Teacher.

If you know of a reference (maybe even a recent TPT one) please let me
know off-line.

Thanks a lot

Mike

--
Mike Moloney, Physics & Optical Engineering Department
Rose-Hulman Inst of Tech, 812 877 8302