Re: Waves affected by the moon

At 08:55 PM 10/1/2004, you wrote:
Does anyone know how the waves are created by the moon? My understanding is
the gravitational pull of the moon affects huge surface areas of ocean causing
swells in the water. Is there something else, or am I way off???

This is a popular, and perennial topic. As developed here, the naive idea
of a swell or tide on the near and far side of the Earth from the Moon
gives way
to a conception of a somewhat organized lunar driven motion of Earth and sea,
but a motion that may in fact rotate around big bays and peninsulas, as
viewed
on time lapse satellite imagery.

But you mentioned waves: ocean waves build from surface winds acting on
long fetches of oceans. They become accentuated as the bottom shelves
to the shallower coast line

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!