Re: The Inertia of the Educational System (was PER for physics departments)

I'm not convinced that the PreK-12 educational system IS resistant to change. From what I hear (my sister's an elementary teacher), the teachers are always getting whipped to and fro by the latest educational fads. The complaints I hear are about a lack of stability. As soon as the teachers start to implement the latest "system" (curriculum, certification requirements, standards, methodologies, etc.) that has been imposed on them, it changes. They're not allowed to stick with anything long enough to get good at it, or even long enough to let it work. Then they get the blame for its failure when the miracle instant educational cure-all gets replaced by the next one. IMHO, one of our biggest problems is a lack of respect for, and trust in, the expertise of the teachers.

Vickie Frohne