Re: Sources for Pseudo Science Videos, Articles

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:50:59 -0700, Dan Folmar <djfolmar@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

I'm a reletively new high school physics teacher at a public school. For a
while I've thought it would be interesting to have my students read articles
or watch video clips with obvious -- and not so obvious -- examples of
pseudo science. I'd then ask them to identify each scientific
misrepresentation.

I know that many of the popular science fiction movies offer numerous
examples of bad or pseudo science, but I was hoping to find a source for
articles and movie clips that has already been winnowed down from the larger
population of potential sources. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

You might be interested in the following references:

For critical looks at pseudoscience:
1. "How to Think About Weird Things: Critical Thinking for a New Age"
by Theodore Schick, Lewis Vaughn
2. "Science: Good, Bad, and Bogus" by Martin Gardner

For Sci-fi movies as a source of good and bad science:
3. "Fantastic Voyages: Learning Science Through Science Fiction Films"
by Leroy W. Dubeck, Suzanne E. Moshier, Judith E. Boss

Karim Diff