Re: Typical!

At 01:43 AM 9/15/2004, bc, you wrote:
/// I checked over 20 pics from that class and found only two w/ a
woman (most just showed the apparatus). The second has her and two men
posing, so "neutral".

p.p.s not a 50/50. Typically 20%? women in a modern Physics class. Or
do you mean one always does and the other clerks?

[This is a rant - read at your own risk ]

In business, the one who does is called the 'worker-bee' and the one
who sits and watches is called the supervisor.

Talking about bees in one's bonnet, I am pleased, really pleased to see
a picture of a young man standing, and a young woman sitting.
In this small town, one grows familiar with the high school help working
as cashiers after school and as waitresses (the latter being a high-income
occupation for young women here, no mistake).

I grow tired of seeing these young women looking stressed, after a school
day, then 5 or 6 hours on their feet.
At least one employer in town will not permit a cashier to go home who
is feeling sick and looking stressed, unless she essentially falls down.

I ask why they cannot sit during lulls: there is no provision, and it is
universally discouraged. Moreover, the young women usually buy into
the arrangement: the superior endurance with which they are often bestowed
means they will use their reserves repeatedly. They are "there to work".

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!