Re: position vs displacement

Hugh Logan wrote in part:

>>If
>>forced to think about it, I always thought of a position vector as a
>>displacement from the origin, but it seemed inconvenient to think of a
>>displacement as a change of displacement, although that is what it
>>really is.

Larry Smith wrote:

Randy Knight's new book (PSE, 1e) is the first that takes a consistent
approach, IMHO. He does as you, Hugh, suggest: x is position and \Delta x
is displacement. At least this year I have a consistent story for my
students rather than apologizing for the author's own confusion in previous
texts. But I don't know if I'm 100% totally happy yet, because I also
agree with the strangeness indicated in your last paragraph.

I predict people will end up 100% happy with the idea that a
displacement is a difference between two position vectors.

The physics of the situation is AFAICT the physics of pre-Galilean
relativity of position: Each observer is free to choose to choose
their own origin of coordinates for expressing positions. Note that
this is relativity of *position*, quite distinct from the relativity
of velocity à la Galileo and Einstein.

Therefore a position such as A or B or C is expressed as a gauge-
dependent (i.e. origin-dependent) vector. However the principle
of relativity of position tells us that the laws of physics never
depend on such gauge-dependent vectors. All the laws of physics
instead involve gauge-independent expressions such as A-C (the
displacement from C to A) or B-C (the displacement from C to B).

In my book:
"displacement" is synonymous with
"relative position".

It is common but not really necessary for displacements to
be measured relative to some *fixed* reference. That is, the
expression A-C sometimes implies that C has zero velocity or
at least zero acceleration ... but this is not required.
Gauge-independence is what really matters; the rest is fluff.

At the drop of a hat, any position can be turned into a
displacement (or vice versa) by choosing some point O as the
origin. The position A corresponds to the displacement A-O
and vice versa.

The definitive check as to whether something expresses a
displacement or not is to subtract O from each of vectors
in the expression, and see if O drops out.
A - B --> (A-O) - (B-O) = A - B (independent of O)

Note that the difference between two displacements is also a
gauge-invariant expression ... so I am happy to call it a
displacement as well.

Furthermore, while there is a name for \Delta x (i.e. displacement), there
isn't a corresponding one-word name for \Delta v.

Can't help you there. The corresponding idea is relative velocity,
and I just call it relative velocity. Not a big problem.

Pedagogical remark: The idea of relativity of position is obvious
to us. It's not a big surprise or a burden on students, but it
needs to be discussed explicitly. It gets short shrift in a lot
of texts.