bending of a rubber tube attached to a faucet

I have something on which I'd like the list's comments.

We have flexible rubber tubing attached to the faucets in our chem labs.
Each tube hangs freely and has a slight bend near the free end.
Depending upon the water flow rate through the tube, the tubes bend into
wave shapes reminiscent of the frequencies of a hanging chain suspended
at one end (i.e., bessel functions).

The tubes do not vibrate but are essentially stationary. They change
shape as a continuous function of the flow rate. The higher the flow
rate the more nodes are present.

My curiosity is attempting to predict the number of nodes (and the
shape) for a given flow rate. The effect is present in tubes from about
1 foot long to about 20 inches --- although it is more challenging to
reach higher modes with the shorter tubes (which doesn't surprise me).

It seems like an interesting effect and I'm curious to see what comments
you might add.

Kenny Stephens

Hardin-Simmons University

Abilene, Texas