Re: Olympic data

Yes, experimental errors in measuring time intervals (microseconds?),
are likely to be very small in comparison with runtime differences
between close competitors (milliseconds). I was thinking about the
random nature of human reaction times between 0 and ~0.3 seconds. To
eliminate that kind of randomness one could define the start time as a
moment at which the first laser beam is interrupted. The second beam,
for example, one hundred meters away, would then be used to determine
the ending moment. Each runner would run alone, like in jumping
competitions. Would such suggestion be taken seriously?
Ludwik Kowalski

On Tuesday, Aug 24, 2004, at 13:02 America/New_York, Brian Whatcott