Re: I am confused

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
The message to which I am replying now was posted on Phys-L. But
after posting this message I received this from the server:

Your message is being returned to you unprocessed because it
appears to have already been distributed to the PHYS-L list. That
is, a message with identical text (but possibly with different
mail headers) has been posted to the list recently, either by you
or by someone else.

The "someone else" is the key phrase there.

The "someone" in question is a list subscriber who is
forwarding phys-l traffic back to phys-l. Usually it
is straightforward to figure out who the culprit is by
analyzing the Received-from: headers of the bounce msg.

The problem is slightly exacerbated by the fact that
the listserv takes quite a while to distribute msgs
to all recipients, and it is quite possible that the
culprit's copy will get through and generate a bounce
msg before the original author receives a copy of the
original msg ... in which case it is not obvious that
the original msg has been accepted.

This situation would be less confusing if the listserv
generated a more informative bounce msg ... for example
by offering a comparison of the Received-from: headers
in the original and the copy.