Re: New Editions and Selling Textbooks

I did find this, quickly.

This is from a UC site. Evidently, tho my cheques were signed by the
prez of the U, and one pays the UC regents (book store, parking pass,
etc.), "we" are state employees. However, we can sell desk copies, by
now up to ~ $400 / annum (single source). Note, ordinary employees (below
deans in the hierarchy) may even be excepted from this.

bc

GIFTS

This Section deals with the acceptance of gifts by state and federal
officials, Section VIII, Restrictions on Funds, offers guidance on the
giving of gifts on behalf of the University.

A. State

A "gift" is defined in the Political Reform Act as any payment that
confers a personal benefit on the recipient to the extent that
consideration of equal or greater value is not received and includes a
rebate or discount in the price of anything of value unless the rebate
or discount is made in the regular course of business to members of the
public without regard to official status.

The Act establishes two separate gift limits: the "gift limit" and the
"lobbyist gift limit," which is also known as the "$10 gift rule."

1. The "Gift Limit."
The gift limit restricts the total amount of gifts that certain
officials may receive from a single source during a calendar year. The
source of gifts from the campuses and from employees working in their
University capacity is the University. Each gift from any University
source contributes to its $300.00 limit. At present, the limit is
$300.00 In 2001, the amount of the limit will be adjusted to reflect
changes in the Consumer Price Index.

The gift limit applies to elected state officials, candidates, specified
individuals who manage public investments, and employees whose positions
are listed in an agency's Conflict of Interest Code if the source of the
gift must be reported on the official's Statement of Economic Interests.

The Act and regulations provide exceptions to the gift limit for certain
types of gifts such as unused tickets, informational materials,
personalized plaques, hospitality in a friend's home, tickets to
campaign events, and some gifts of travel outside of California. A
complete list of the exemptions as well as other information can be
found in the Fact Sheet, Limitations and Restrictions on Gifts,
Honoraria, Travel and Loans. A more comprehensive presentation of the
gift provisions of the Act can be found in the University of
California's Policy and Guideline Regarding Acceptance of Gifts and
Gratuities by Employees under California's Political Reform Act.

Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

My impression is that most faculty at most state universities are considered state employees, but I can't speak for all states. In Kansas the check comes from the state - both for state universities and community colleges.

In particular, here are excerpts from a few sources found on the web. The three listed below say it is against state laws and/or regulations to sell complimentary copies. There were many others that just said it was unethical.

cut