Re: Teaching science on the edge of knowledge

John Clement <clement@HAL-PC.ORG> wrote >>>
Many of them take an absolutist view of science
because they have been taught it the way you might
teach revealed theological truth. Part of our job
is to help them understand NOS.

I couldn't agree more. We should be teaching students about the limits of science also. Since science describes physical phenomena, there are certain questions that are not answerable with science - unscientific questions, if you will - because they deal with non-physical phenomena. (examples include aesthetics, better described by philosophy; angels, better described by religion; etc.)

"Pamela L. Gay" <pgay@FAS.HARVARD.EDU> wrote >>>
*How do you answer the question: "What was there
before the Big Bang?" I typically say, "Here be
dragons" and use magazine articles and popular
books to discuss some of the theories.

This question is actually a bad question, for a different reason than the general topic above. At the Big Bang was the commencement of time, as well as all other parts of the universe. Since "before" is a time relationship, it cannot be applied beyond the limit of time. A rather limited analogy would be a student asking what number comes after infinity on a number line. There is no answer because of the question itself.