Re: vector notation

At 6:36 PM -0400 7/20/04, Gerd Kortemeyer wrote:
Hi,

On Jul 20, 2004, at 5:09 PM, Larry Smith wrote:

I always thought the vector arrow over the letter (or the squiggly
under
it) was employed in handwritten work precisely because it is hard to do
boldface by hand.

And I always thought that boldface or italic are used because the
vector arrow is not available in many text processors

I'm pretty sure it is the other way around. I found 2 or 3 other
"authoritative" sources that concur that vectors should be boldface
italic (including the ISO).

- not everybody uses LaTeX, like they should :-)

I agree. I use LaTeX. In fact, it was in one of my LaTeX books that
I found reference to the ISO guidelines that vectors should be
boldface italic.

\vec{a} produces an arrow.

Yes, and that is easier (shorter) than \boldsymbol{a}, so maybe
Knight is just lazy.

I prefer the vector arrow in both printed and handwritten.

Maybe the standards will change to agree with you some day.

Unit vector have the hat instead.

Agreed.