Re: motional emf

John Denker made some excellent clarifying comments:

If there is an error, it comes from misapplying this
Maxwell equation. The equation properly applies to
changing the flux through a given loop. In contrast
if you try to apply it to changing the loop around a
given flux, all bets are off. Counterexamples abound.

I agree. Another way of saying the same thing -- the point where the
error comes in is converting:
integral of {partial derivative of B wrt time * area element dA}
into
total time derivative of integral of {B * dA}
and then applying the latter to circuits in which the area changes.

Are we getting tangled up in the terminology? I have
never figured out what "EMF" is supposed to mean. I
prefer discussing things in terms of "voltage".

I have no problem with using the word "voltage". I only call it
"motional emf" because that's the conventional name.

I usually think of emf as meaning a "generated voltage" - example:
what we measure across the terminals of an ac generator or battery
(ignoring the internal resistance), or across the ends of our bar
cutting across magnetic field lines. I agree this is a rather flimsy
nomenclature and my meaning doesn't fit well with the fact that the
voltage across an inductor is commonly glorified in texts with the
equation emf = - L*dI/dt, whereas that across a resistor is simply
voltage = R*I.
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5040