Re: 1/r^2, geometry, flux

At 11:14 AM 6/21/2004, you wrote:
Hugh Haskell wrote:

> I was disabused of this geometrical idea early on in my college
> career when it was pointed out to me that there are all sorts of
> interactions that do *not* follow the inverse square law.
[Hugh]

I don't claim that the geometric approach is the only valid
approach, but it appears to be one of the valid approaches,
not requiring any disabusing. It has elegance and predictive
power.
[John D]

I found John's geometric justification of inverse square to
be illuminating. It may not hit this way on all listeners,
and may only appeal to the relatively physics-naive, still
I value flashes of this kind.

Brian W

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!